How to protect your hair from heat styling and damage


Hey again! So I thought I would do a little post about how to protect your hair from heat styling, and really just ensure that when you do style your hair, minimal damage is caused to your hair. I know that in the winter especially, my hair can get really dry, and I don't want to make it look any more dry and damaged than it already is. The great thing about the summer is that you can usually just add some product to your hair and go outside and let the wind naturally toss it around. If you live in a cold place, you may be less inclined to do that.

Things to do to protect you hair:

1. Use a heat protectant/tamer spray!

This will seriously change your life. Though you may not see instant results, be assured that your hair is being protected. Look for heat tamer sprays with infused keratin, as this ingredient will strengthen your hair. Keratin is a protein that is naturally in our hair, which makes it look soft and silky, so why not dose your hair with some so that this natural shine isn't taken away when you deep fry your hair? You can look for sprays with shine properties, or focus on just getting a spray that will ensure the health of your hair.

2. Don't over do it!
When styling, try not to over do it. Not every single strand of hair needs to be straightened for example. Try just sticking to the outer layer of hair, as that is what people really see. Also, when styling, be quick and efficient. You don't want to take your sweet time when pressing your fragile hair in between two scalding hot metal plates. Straighten your hair in a quick manner, so that you are pulling the heat gently throughout your hair, and not burning it. Instead of keeping the straightener on your hair and slowly pulling down, so do quickly. Don't use high heat settings if you don't need to. 

3. Try not to style your hair every day.
What I like to do is style my hair the day I take a shower. So if I take my shower in the morning, I might naturally let my hair dry, and then straighten it (or curl it). Be sure to use a styling creme to hold your style so that it can last until you wash your hair next. If I style my hair the first day, it usually holds until I have to wash my hair next. Do this instead of styling your hair every single day. 

4. Use good tools!
I think it is fair to say that you should splurge on things that deal with your hair. Styling tools that are cheaper, generally are of poorer quality, as they only tend to have one heat setting, and cheaply made metal plating that not only makes it difficult to style, but the metal causes more damage. My hair straightener has infra red technology that seals the keratin in my hair to lock in smoothness, and not cause so much damage. There are also 30 different heat settings on it. 



2 comments:

  1. What is the name of the straightener that you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To tell you the trust, I am in need of a new straightener. My old one was by croc , here is the link: http://www.turboion.com/CROC-INFRARED.html it was a very good straightener, however I broke it because I plugged it in to an outlet in Europe..the voltage is different in the two Countries, so the high voltage destroyed my poor straightener :( I am thinking of buying a new one from nume soon.

    ReplyDelete

 

Followers

Sara

As you may have guessed by the title, my name is Sara. I love cats and prefer my sushi with tempura in it. I hope my blog serves as an inspiration to others to live life uniquely, and in their own ways. Stay cool :) You can contact me at saracantmeraz@gmail.com